Course 8330: English for Specific Purposes
This is a one- on- one or group course designed for advanced proficient level students who would like to master all ESL skills such as Reading, Writing, Speaking and Listening including sub skills such as pronunciation, vocabulary and grammar. It is for graduate students and professionals who need a more intensive preparation for graduate studies as well as for career growth.
It presents a variety of academic topics such as Anthropology, Poetry, Economics, Ecology, Business, Work place and other areas appropriate to their professional needs. It provides an integrated approach to language acquisition.
• The English for Special Purposes approach enhances the relevance of what the students are learning and enables them to use what they know to learn even more English, since their interest in their field will motivate them to use the language.
• Students approach the study of English through a field that is already known and relevant to them. This means that they are able to use what they learn in the classroom right away in their work and studies.
• The term “special” in English for Special Purposes refers to the special purpose for learning English.
• In the English for Special Purposes class, students are shown how this subject matter is expressed in English.
• The students’ abilities in their fields of study, in turn, improve their ability to acquire English.
• Being able to use the vocabulary and structures that they learn in a meaningful context reinforces what is taught and increases their motivation.
• Students are able to apply what they learn in their English classes to their main field of study, whether it be accounting, business management, economics, computer science, or tourism.
• English for Special Purposes combines subject matter and English language teaching methods.